We know from the catalogue information that this incredible painted, wooden box was collected not just from the Yukon River Delta, but specifically from Pastolik. It was collected and donated by Edward Nelson and accessioned in 1897. Candace Greene, a North American ethnologist at NMNH, informed us that these boxes, primarily owned by men, were often used to hold tools. She also mentioned that the images painted on the inside of the lid are most likely meant to be viewed only by other men when the box is taken out on a fishing or work trip.
Arctic Studies Center Magnetic North Home YouTube Facebook Search Smithsonian Collections NMNH Department of Anthropology Blogs at NMNH Subscribe