This pair of summer boots comes from Russian Siberia and are attributed to the Chukchi peoples. Originally collected in 1863 on the J. Rodgers & United States North Pacific Exploring and Surveying Expedition, they are manufactured out of dressed animal skins. According to notes left by Dr. Ilja S. Gurvich, the head of the Northern and Siberian Peoples Department in the former U.S.S.R. Academy of Sciences, Moscow in 1982, the soles are made of walrus skin and the upper portions are made of seal skin. The boots were collected some time between 1853-1856 by Captain John Rodgers and accessioned by the museum in 1863.
Arctic Studies Center Magnetic North Home YouTube Facebook Search Smithsonian Collections NMNH Department of Anthropology Blogs at NMNH Subscribe