This object was donated by Dr. John Cooper at the Catholic University of America and acquired by the museum in 1956. The bone flesher was a gift of Mrs. Geo. Rbt Norn in 1931 and was collected from Ft. Resolution near the shore of Great Slave Lake in the Northwest Territories of Canada. This bone flesher is affiliated with the Chipewyan, an Athapaskan-speaking Canada Native group. It is made from a section of moose leg bone, with the distal end cut into a finely serrated chisel edge and is approximately 12.5” long and 1” wide. This bone flesher would have been used to process animal hide to remove a thin layer of fat and flesh prior to the tanning process. The proximal condyle is wrapped in hide with a loop handle to provide a better grip for using the tool and the beveled end would have removed the residual flesh and fat. This step in processing is crucial in preparing a hide. If the hide was not prepared properly the uncured leather or fur could become rancid.
Arctic Studies Center Magnetic North Home YouTube Facebook Search Smithsonian Collections NMNH Department of Anthropology Blogs at NMNH Subscribe